Thursday, June 2, 2011

Man AND Nature

Sometimes the phrase "Man versus Nature" makes sense.  But for me and my observations in my life, it's more like "Man and Nature."

Richard set up our bedroom in the livingroom.  It's the only room that has floors we didn't have to tear up.  Our bed faces a lovely picture window, and since we sit high on a hill, no one can see in from the street.  Good thing too because our window shade doesn't work.  It's beautiful to look out over the trees. 

Last Saturday night Richard set out to hook up our tv to a dvd as we have no cable.  Imagine that?  We thought we'd watch a movie, "The Fighter" or "Mama Mia" were our choices.  You can imagine which would have won had our tv not been so old as to not HAVE a dvd hookup.  So I read instead and Richard ate a sandwich.

Last night there were tornado warnings throughout the state and one indeed touched down quite a ways from us, so no worry.  But I could hardly keep from wishing that one would blow right through our house and take the entire thing away.  I'm not tempting fate here and I surely do pray for all those who have ever experienced a tornado.  I truly hope I never do.

So where is this all leading?  No tv, but plenty of side effects from the storm system.  The sky was flickering constantly with the glow from lightning, and now and then bolts of lightning crossed the sky.  I shut the lights out, lay in bed, and watched out my picture window at what resembled a Disney light show.  Only this was nature.  Beautiful.

This morning my mom whole heartedly agreed to take dog for the day.  I was so happy that dog wouldn't be home alone again.  And mom seemed to really miss dog.  Again, that nature stuff.

As we left the house for work, there were three HUGE wild turkeys in our yard.  Squaking or whatever it is they do.  I thought how awesome.  We'll shoot the biggest for Thanksgiving!  NOT!  We just stared and laughed.

Got to work to take my shower and a young gal was staring into the sink with a paper towel in hand.  "What's wrong," I asked.  "There's a huge spider and I'm afraid to kill it," she said.  I took a look and it was a daddy long legs.  Now I think I read once that they aren't spiders.  And I've often heard that it's bad luck to kill one. 

When I got out of the shower the gal had gone, but the spider was still in the sink.  I don't think he could get out.  So I got a paper towel and guess what.....instead of squishing him I got him up on the towel and out of the sink and someplace safe, I hope.  Though Richard said instead of drowning in the sink someone probably stepped on him.

My stepdaughter Stacy had a mother cat scratch at her door three or four times during the evening.  Each time Stacy found a kitten.  Then when all were safe inside, mama cat came in too.  Stacy found homes for all of them but kept the "runt" who she is desperately trying to keep alive as we all know runts have a tendency to be very weak.

I read a piece in the newspaper that this is the season for turtles to lay their eggs.  They often times are crossing the street to get to where they want to be.  The article asked us to all be careful for the next few weeks and watch for them in the road.

I could go on and on about the way man and nature unite.  But I know you could too.  So I end now and remind you that "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

No comments:

Post a Comment